Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Caramel Cheescake


My birthday was a couple of weeks ago and I decided to make myself and cake and bring it into the office to share with my coworkers. I think if I have to choose my favorite type of dessert it would be cheesecake. I love the thick, rich, creamy decadence. I also love caramel. So I decided to put the two things together and it created one of the best cheesecakes I have ever made. I had a few people in the office say that it was one of the best they have ever eaten. The cheesecake was so moist and creamy, almost light and fluffy if that is possible. There wasn't a crumb leftover by the end of the day. I loved it so much that I am making again for Christmas Eve so if any of my family is reading this, make sure you save room for dessert on Saturday!

Caramel Cheesecake
Adapted from Cheesecake Supreme recipe in Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups finely crushed chocolate graham crackers

1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
3 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
3 slightly beaten eggs
7 oz caramel candies, unwrapped (I prefer the ones from Kraft)
1/3 - 1/2 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. For crust, in a bowl combine crushed chocolate graham crackers and melted butter. Mix until combined. Press crumb mixture into the bottom and 2 inches up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.

For filling, in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar, flour and vanilla with paddle attachment until fully combined. Mix in milk until smooth. Stir in eggs and mix on medium-high speed for 1 minute until the mixture is fully incorporated.

Pour filling into crust-lined pan. Place pan in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes for until a 2 1/2 inch area around the outside edges appears set when gently shaken.

Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Using a sharp small knife, loosen the crust from the side of pan. cool for 30 minutes more.

While cheesecake is cooling, combine the caramels and 1/3 cup of the heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Melt and combine, stirring occasionally until all the caramel candies are melted. Add the additional cream to the mixture if it seems to hard. Pour warm caramel over top of the cheesecake. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cover and chill at least 4 hours before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...