Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Chicken Shawarma


The first time I made this recipe it was indoors on a grill pan. Now that spring is here and our grill is out of the shed, I can't wait to make it again over the open fire. This recipe is from Cooking Light and often I find that I need to increase the amount of spices I use in their recipes but I didn't have to adapt this one at all. The flavors on the chicken and in the sauce were both right on. The only addition I made was a couple of slices of avocado since I had a ripe one I had to use and I really like the flavor of the creamy cool avocado with the over flavors involved. This has become a regular in our house and is so easy to make for a weeknight meal.

Chicken Shawarma
From Cooking Light

Ingredients:
Chicken:
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp curry powder
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 16 strips

Sauce:
1/2 cup plain 2% reduced fat Greek yogurt
2 tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
1/4 tsp salt
1 garlic clove, minced

Remaining Ingredients:
Cooking spray
4 (6-inch) pitas
Lettuce
Tomato Slices
Avocado Slices

Directions:
Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.

To prepare chicken, combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add chicken to bowl; toss well to coat. Let stand at room temperate 20 minutes.

To prepare sauce, combine yogurt and next 4 ingredients (through 1 garlic clove), stirring with a whisk.

Spray grill or gill pan with cooking spray and cook chicken 4 minutes on each side or until done.

Place pitas on grill rack; grill 1 minute on each side or until lightly toasted. Place 1 pita on each of 4 plates; top each pita with lettuce, tomato and avocado. Add chicken and sauce and serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...