Friday, October 7, 2011

Old-Fashioned Beef Stew


I love beef stew.  It is one of my favorite fall and winter comfort foods.  I have been making this recipe for years and once the weather turned a little colder earlier this week I couldn't wait to make it again.  This make a lot of stew.  There was enough for the 2 of us to eat dinner for 2 nights and 3 lunches for me so it is a great size for a crowd.  Just make sure that you have a big enough slow cooker to fit it all in.  I have a 6 quart cooker and it is filled up almost to the brim when I make this recipe.  You may be tempted to skip the step that asks you to brown the meat before putting it in the slow cooker but I highly recommend you don't.  I think it imparts a lot of flavor in the dish.  I am sure I will be making this again quite a few more times this season.  Yum!

Old-Fashioned Beef Stew
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book

Ingredients:
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch chunks
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups vegetable juice
1 cup beef broth
1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried majoram
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
3 cups cubed potatoes (about 3 medium)
24 oz. frozen mixed vegetables (green beans, corn, peas, carrots)
1 cup sliced carrots (2 medium)

Directions:
Place flour in a plastic bag and season with salt and pepper.  Add meat cubes, a few at a time, shaking to coat.  In a large saucepan or Dutch oven brown meat in hot oil.  Place browned meat in the bottom of the slow cooker.  Layer the onions, potatoes, mixed vegetables and carrots on top of the meat.  Combine the vegetable juice, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, majoram, pepper and bay leaf.  Pour over meat and vegetables and cover.  Cook on low 9-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...