Thursday, July 21, 2011

Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts


I am trying to cook healthier at home and am always on the lookout for ways to reduce the fat and calories in dishes that I love to eat.  Stuffed chicken is one of those things that I love to make but I knew wasn't too good for us.  I came across this recipe from Gina at Skinnytaste and knew I had to try it.  And I had just about all of the ingredients that I would need at home.  They came out great and browned really well in the oven.  You still get the crispy texture you would get by pan frying them without the calories and fat in the oil.  Best of both worlds.

While this recipe uses broccoli and Swiss cheese you could really stuff them with anything.  Once you get the technique down, the sky is the limit as far as fillings go.  I served this with seasoned baked yukon gold potatoes which I roasted in the same pan that I cooked the chicken in with just non-stick cooking spray.  I put the potatoes in the oven first while I was making the stuffed chicken breasts to give them a head start in cooking and then added the chicken breasts and cooked for 25 minutes more.  Add a bag of steamed veggies and we were all set!


Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Slightly adapted from Skinnytaste

Ingredients:
2 large chicken breast halves
1 large egg
1 tbsp. milk
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs (Gina uses whole wheat and I would have definitely used them too but I ran out and had regular at home)
1 cup broccoli florets, cooked, chopped small (I steamed them in the microwave)
3 slices Swiss cheese
Non-stick spray
Toothpicks

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  In a small bowl, combine egg and milk.  Beat with a fork to make an egg wash.  Set aside.  Spread breadcrumbs on a plate.

Slice chicken breast halves into thin cutlets.  I got 3 cutlets out of one chicken breast and 2 out of the other.  Pound slightly to make sure they are an even thinness.

Cut each slice of cheese in half.  Please a 1/2 slice of cheese in the center of each chicken breast and top with a few pieces of broccoli.  Wrap chicken around to completely cover cheese, using toothpicks to secure.

Dip chicken into egg wash, then breadcrumbs.  Spray baking dish with non-stick spray and place chicken in baking dish.  Lightly spray chicken with oil and bake about 25 minutes, until cooked.  Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm so good! I made gina's provolone and prosciutto verison and they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...