Friday, July 15, 2011

Strawberry Ice Cream


TGIF!  To kick off the weekend a little early I decided to whip up some strawberry ice cream last night.  This is my first time making a non custard based ice cream and I think it turned out really well.  It was much less time consuming than the custard based one and just as creamy.  I couldn't find one single recipe that correlated to the ingredient I had at home and the type of strawberry ice cream that I wanted so I took at shot in the dark and came up with my own.  The only thing I will do differently next time is blend the mixture a little less once the strawberries are added.  I was hoping for some small strawberry chunks but this wound up being pureed very smooth.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend.  I have a big family reunion bbq to go to on Saturday so lots of baking and cooking going on for that.  Stay tuned next week for all the recipes!  By the way, aren't these little ice cream bowls so cute?  Thanks John and Elaine!

Strawberry Ice Cream
From Colleen's Kitchen Therapy

Ingredients:
10-12 whole strawberries, frozen or fresh is fine, hulled and sliced in half
3 tbsp. lemon juice
1 cup sugar, divided
1 cup half and half
2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
Place strawberries, lemon juice and 1/3 cup sugar in a bowl.  Let sit for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Place half and half, 2/3 cup sugar and any juice from the strawberries in blender.  Blend until the sugar is dissolved.  Add the strawberries and pulse a few times until strawberries are broken up into small pieces.  Pour mixture into a large bowl.  Add heavy cream and vanilla extract.  Stir to combine.

Transfer mix to your ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.  Serve immediately or place in a freezer safe container until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...