Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Grilled Pineapple Salsa


Run, do not walk, run to the store, get the ingredients and make this salsa.  If you like pineapple at all, this is a must try.  It has been quite hot the last few days here in New Jersey and last night I did not want to have to turn on the stove or the oven to make dinner.  If I had to cook, it was going to be all outside on the grill.  I decided to make grilled chicken tacos with corn tortillas.  Perfect, I can even heat the tortillas up on the grill, no stove or oven necessary.  I was going to just make my traditional pico de gallo and serve the tacos avocado chunks, cheese and sour cream but then I decided to look for a different salsa to go with the tacos.  Using one of my new favorite tools on the internet, Foodily, I searched for salsa recipes and a recipe for grilled pineapple salsa came up on the first or second page.  I was sold before I even looked at the ingredient list.  See, I love grilled pineapple, it might just be my favorite way to eat pineapple ever.  Add to it grilled, red pepper and jalapeno and onions and a couple other things?  Sounds perfect to me.

I came home from work and immediately got to work on grilling the fruit and vegetables for the salsa.  I put the whole thing together including grilling time in less than 30 minutes.  Very easy to make.  I then let it sit for about an hour or so while Joe was still at work so the flavors could start to meld together.  It was so good.  We still have about half the batch left at home.  I think we will try it on some burgers later this week.

Grilled Pineapple Salsa
From Serious Eats

Ingredients:
1 large pineapple, skinned, cored and cut into 1 inch rounds
1 red bell pepper
1 medium jalapeno
1 small red onion, finely diced (I didn't have red and believe it or not neither did the grocery store last night so I used a spanish onion)
1/2 cup loosely packed, finely chopped cilantro
2 small limes, juiced (I wound up only using one)
Kosher Salt

Directions:
Place pineapple slices, bell pepper and jalapeno on a grill over medium-high heat.  Cook the pineapple until lightly browned on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.  Remove from the grill, cut into a medium dice and place in a medium sized bowl.

Cook the peppers until completely charred all over.  Remove from the grill to a paper or ziploc bag and seal.  When the peppers are cool enough to handle, about 5 minutes, remove their skins and chop the red pepper medium and the jalapeno finely.  Add to the bowl with the pineapple.

Add the onion, cilantro and lime juice to the the bowl and toss until well combined.  Season with salt to taste and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Any self respecting taco joint (NOT looking at you Taco Bell!) should definitely add this to their arsenal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh heavens, these look like the best! Many thanks for idea. I will definitely try this recipe. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...