Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Home Fries


Potatoes are so versatile.  As Joe likes to say, boil 'em, bake 'em, put 'em in a stew.  Anyway you slice them, I love all kinds of potatoes.  I love them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I always preferred home fries to hash browns for breakfast.  I think when home fries are cooked right they are more flavorful than hash browns.  Plus they are so much more versatile and you can add all types of ingredients and seasonings to them.  The home fries that I made for brunch were a very simple recipe with just onions and potatoes but you could definitely add other vegetables like peppers or zucchini to it too.

In our house, home fries are not only a breakfast dish.  I make them a lot for dinner too.  This method only takes about 20 minutes to cook so we often pair them with steaks, burgers or grilled chicken.  They taste just as good, maybe better, reheated in a pan the next day.  By the way, sorry for the seemingly blurry photo.  That is actually steam coming off the potatoes and this is the only picture of them that I took.  I will have to take a better picture next time I make them.

Home Fries
From Colleen's Kitchen Therapy

4 medium potatoes (I prefer to use Yukon gold), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 medium onion, diced
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. olive oil

In a large skillet that has a lid, over medium-high heat, saute onions and olive oil for 2-3 minutes until the onions begin to soften.  Add in potatoes, salt, pepper and garlic powder and mix to coat potatoes in olive oil.  Cover and let potatoes cook, untouched, for 5 minutes.  Remove lid and mix up potato and onion mixture.  Replace lid and cook, untouched, for 5 minutes more.  Repeat this process until the potatoes are crispy on the outside and soft and cooked through on the inside, about 20-25 minutes.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...