Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Garlic and Herb Pasta


I may have been living under a rock all my life.  It was not until a few months ago that I ever tried those spreadable cheeses like Alouette and Rondele.  I served the garlic and herb flavor for our Mad Men dinner party earlier this year and it was so good.  I think I ate the leftovers all by myself.  So when I came across this recipe at Stephanie Cooks I knew it was something that I had to try.  I love pasta, I love the cheese, what more could I want?  I went to the grocery store to pick up the cheese and found that Alouette makes a light version which is half the fat and calories.  Score!  Now I liked the idea of using the cheese but I wanted to change it up a bit and also wanted to add some protein to the recipe.  I had some frozen shrimp in the house so I used them but I am sure this would taste great with chicken or another kind of seafood if you like.  Joe loved this too and was surprised when I told him that the base of the sauce was spreadable cheese.  I can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

Garlic and Herb Pasta
Adapted from Stephanie Cooks

Ingredients:
1 lb pasta, cooked al dente
1  14.5 oz can low sodium chicken broth
1 6.5 oz container light garlic and her spreadable cheese (I used Alouette brand)
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 medium onion, cut into large chunks
3 cups broccoli florets
1 tbsp olive oil
Kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper
8 oz cooked shrimp, tails removed
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Line a large baking sheet with foil.  Spray foil with nonstick spray.  Combine grape tomatoes, onion and broccoli in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Spread on baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.  In empty pasta pot, over medium low heat combine chicken broth and garlic and herb cheese.  Whisk together until smooth and cook until warm, about 2-3 minutes.  Add shrimp and cook an additional 1 minute.  Remove from heat and add vegetables and pasta.  mix until well coated.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...