Thursday, August 18, 2011

Roasted Banana Ice Cream


We eat a lot of bananas in our house.  Joe likes to have at least one everyday and I eat them pretty frequently too.  I also love to cook with bananas.  Banana pancakes, bread, waffles, muffins.  I love them all.  I also really like banana ice cream but it is not a flavor that is very easy to find.  When my parents bought me my ice cream maker attachment for my birthday last year they also included The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz in their gift.  It seems that my mom picked very well because I have heard so many people saying that this book is the bible of ice cream making.  I have made quite a few of his recipes so far and they have all come out wonderful.

I spied the roasted banana ice cream on my first flip through the book but I didn't get around to making it until this past weekend.  I don't know why I waited so long.  If you like caramelized bananas this ice cream is wonderful.  Full of rich banana flavor and not too sweet.  It is also a very easy to make.  My only complaint is that I wish the recipe made more of it.  It was gone in almost one sitting between 3 people.  I may double the recipe next time since it looks like my ice cream maker could fit a double batch.  If you like bananas and you like ice cream, I highly suggest this recipe!

Roasted Banana Ice Cream
From The Perfect Scoop

Ingredients:
3 medium size ripe bananas, peeled
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 tsp. coarse salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Slice the bananas into 1/2 inch thick pieces and toss them with the brown sugar and butter in a 2 quart baking dish.  Bake for 40 minutes, stirring just once during baking, until bananas are browned and cooked through.  Scrape the bananas and the thick syrup in the baking dish into a blender or food processor.  Add the milk, granulated sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt, and puree until smooth.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.  If the chilled mixture is too thick to pour into your machine, whisking will thin it out.  Serve directly from the ice cream maker or freeze for 1-2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...