Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork


There is something about barbecue that I love.  The smokey flavors and sauces combined with juicy pork or beef are just wonderful to me.  Unfortunately, I do not have a smoker at home so I am always on the look out for ways to recreate the flavors and texture of barbecue at home.  I have been making pulled pork in the slow cooker at home for awhile now and have always gotten good reactions to it but I was never personally totally satisfied with the end result.  While flipping though Elisha's blog awhile back, I noticed that she had made pulled pork and hers looked so much better and more authentic than what I had been doing.  Hers looks so good, all caramelized and crispy on the tips.  I had to find out what the difference was.  While reading her recipe, I realized the difference was very simple.  I had only been adding the barbecue sauce to the meat at the end after it was pulled and she put a whole bottle of sauce in at the beginning of the process so the pork cooked in the sauce for 10 hours.  Then she added more to each sandwich at serving time.  Let me tell you, this will now be my go to recipe for pulled pork in the slow cooker.  Joe and I ate it for dinner and then for lunch for days later.  When all was said and done, I think a 3.5 pound piece of meat yielded us about 10-11 sandwiches.  And although, it is not a requirement I HIGHLY suggest added some good old fashioned cole slaw to your sandwich.  Great combo!

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
From Delish

Ingredients:
1 pork butt or shoulder, approximately 4 lbs
1 18 oz. bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce (We only use Sweet Baby Rays at home)
1 1/2 cups water
10 Hamburger buns

Optional add-ons:
Additional barbecue sauce for serving
Cole slaw for serving

In a 6 qt or larger slow cooker, coat the bottom of the slow cooker with 1/3 of the bottle of barbecue sauce.  Place the pork in the cooker and pour the rest of the barbecue sauce on top.  Add the water to it and cook on low 8-10 hours.

Use tongs to pull off piece of meat and layer on bun.  Top with additional barbecue sauce and cole slaw and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...